1, January 2019
Hidden history of presidential sickness: Ali Bongo tells Gabonese ‘I am now fine’ in New Year message 0
Gabon’s President Ali Bongo chose the auspicious occasion of a new year to address his citizens for the first time since suffering a stroke on October 24. The New Year’s message recorded in Morocco, was distributed via social and traditional media on Monday.
“It is true that I have been through a difficult period, as sometimes happens in life,” he said in a video recorded in Rabat, where the president has been recuperating since end-November. Today, as you can see, I am better and I am preparing to meet you again soon.
The 59-year-old leader has not been home to Gabon since he fell ill in Saudi Arabia more than two months ago. A lack of official news sparked fevered speculation that he was incapacitated or even dead.
A single photograph of Bongo and two videos without sound were published in the two months after his stroke, further fuelling rumours about his health.
Speaking straight to the camera in the new video, Bongo elocutes his message seemingly effortlessly, even as his head and hands display slight movement.
Fully recovered?
Seated at a table, the president’s lower body is not shown. “Today, as you can see, I am better and I am preparing to meet you again soon,” Bongo said in the video.
Presidency spokesman Ike Ngouoni told AFP: “This speech is proof that President Ali Bongo is fully recovered. His health problems are now behind him.”
The Bongo family has governed the oil-rich equatorial African nation for five decades. The incumbent replaced his father, who died in 2009.
Three opposition party leaders have called for an independent medical team to see Bongo in Rabat to assess whether he is able to perform his presidential duties.
Bongo was narrowly re-elected in 2016 following a presidential poll marred by deadly violence and allegations of fraud.
Africa News
7, January 2019
Gabon officers ‘oust President Ali Bongo’ 0
Junior officers say they have seized power in oil-rich Gabon, where the ailing leader’s family has ruled for 50 years.
Soldiers in the west African country say they launched a coup “to restore democracy”.
They took control of the national radio station at 04:30 local time (03:30 GMT) to read a short statement announcing a “National Restoration Council”.
Tanks and armed vehicles can be seen on the streets of the capital Libreville.
Ali Bongo succeeded his father Omar Bongo as president in 2009. He narrowly won re-election in 2016 in a poll marred by violence and accusations of fraud.
Mr Bongo, who has been out of the country for two months, reportedly suffered a stroke in October and received treatment in Morocco
‘Pitiful sight’
He sought to put an end to the rumours about his health with a televised New Year message in which he said he was feeling fine.
Soldiers said they had been disappointed by the message, calling it “a pitiful sight” and a “relentless attempt to cling onto power.”
“It reinforced doubts about his ability to assume the responsibilities of his role as President of the Republic”, said Lt Kelly Ondo Obiang, the leader of the so-called Patriotic Movement of the Defence and Security Forces of Gabon.
He specifically appealed to young people to “take charge of their destiny”.
The insurgents called on soldiers to take control of the transport system, ammunition reserves and airports “in the interests of the nation”.
There is no word so far from the government.
President Trump has deployed soldiers to Gabon to protect US citizens amid fears of violent protests in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo following its presidential election.
BBC